Sunday, November 20, 2005

The entire British empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going to war without one, mate, you're mistaken.

Just got home from my trip to London. I had an excellent time. Got to see some amazing shows, including Devendra Banhart, Celebration, the Breeders twice and Minotaur Shock and Magnetophone. Many of which are part of the 4AD 25th anniversary celebration. So many great things about London. Aside from the wonderful people of the country, whom are very friendly, except when you ask for directions. Weird huh? London is a great place to visit. Seemed to be much cleaner than NYC and the architecture is amazing. I stayed at the Portobello Hotel in the Notting Hill section. A really pretty area, with beautiful big white buildings. Apparently, it's the hotel that Johnny Depp filled a bathtub with champagne, for Kate Moss. I'm also told it's an old rock and roll staple. Either way, my room was pretty tiny, but damn did it have a comfortable bed.

I ate way too much fried food. Seems to be a lot of pies or food baked into bread or something. And yes, the beer is a bit stronger there. Budweiser taste like crap, but if you're lucky enough to try the Czech version, BudVar, go for it. The streets are confusing, I mean, they drive on the other side of the street, so you have to look the other way. Also, London is laid out like someone on crack did it. I guess that's due to it's history and sort of building from the center out. Which, leads me to my next point, London is huge. So freaking huge, that there are like 15 tube lines running underground going in various different directions. There are lots of differences, like using the word toilet instead of bathroom, and way out instead of exit. Somehow, the Kaiser Chiefs seem to be the biggest band in the country, and Madonna is everywhere. And don't let me get started on the pound monetary system and the conversion rate. I still have no clue how much I spent. London seems to be pretty expensive, and that's compared to NYC.

So anyhow, I checked out a lot of shows, bars, and clubs, so I really only got to do tourist type stuff on Saturday. I got to see the London Bridge, Westminister Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, etc... Anyhow, I'm feeling pretty tired. Jet lag is a bitch. It's a good ole five hour difference. I'll put up some pics from London and the shows. I got some cool pics at the Breeders and Celebration shows. But right now, I"m not even sure if what I'm typing makes sense. Cheers.

1 comment:

m1k3k said...

it's all about Camdentown. Did you go to the Underground?