Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Holy Cow!

It's been a very sad two days in my household. We lost a very close friend in the Scooter, Phil Rizzuto. He was beloved for this off-beat announcing, giving people shoutouts on their birthday(before they were shoutouts), his love of canolis, his wife Cora, and of course of the game. He was the voice of the Yankees for many a generations. To this day, just about every game I watch, I think to myself, this would be so much more entertaining and insightful if the Scooter were doing this game. He holds a dear place in my heart. Here is a greatMike Lupica Article about the Scooter.

I was saddened at Old Timers day when they announced the Scooter couldn't be in attendance. That day, was the first time it even dawned on me that he might be gone one day soon. I had the pleasure to meet him once when I was about 8 years old. I used to live in the same town as him in New Jersey and we went trick or treating in his neighborhood. I remember ringing the doorbell and none other than the Scooter answering the door. I'm sure we weren't the first kids that night to ring his doorbell, nor the last, but he treated us as if we were friends. He just said, "Holy Cow! Look at those costumes and put a bunch of pennies in our bags. I actually kept those pennies for years, and kinda still wish I had them. '

Listening Pile:
No music today. Just listening to the voice of the Scooter. So glad Mike and the Mad Dog played an interview from June of 05 on their show yesterday. He sounded old and beat up, but still full of life. Go to youtube, the yes network and listen to some old play by play by the Scooter. One of my favorite stories by the Scooter, can't remember who it was with, but they were talking about an oval shaped hotel room. The Scooter just said something like, "I couldn't stay in a room like that, I'd have nowhere to corner Cora." Go here to read some more.

No comments: