Thursday, March 13, 2008

Wasting Time To Get It Right

I've been thinking a lot about how I'm going to do my NL and AL preview this year, and honestly, I haven't a clue. What I do have is a quick little post on my thoughts about the Yankees. I'll do this for the infield, outfield, bullpen, bench and starting staff. Today we'll start with the infield. One of the best parts of the Yankees I feel comfortable with.


Before I get on with that, I just want to share my though†s on a few current affairs. First of all, Eliot Spitzer. Wow! What the hell were you thinking. Seriously, couldn't you have had å mistress. It would have been expensive, sure, but voters are more likely to pass off allegations of a mistress over a prostitution ring scandal. Man, and the looks from his wife during that speech. Whoa, cold as ice.

Why is Billy Crystal getting to play with the Yankees for a day. Sure he's sixty and a mega-movie and comedy star. But seriously, where do you get in line at the Devil's door to get some of that. One at bat and my soul is for sale. I pose this question, better movie, City Slickers or Princess Bride... Let the debate begin.

OK, we all know that Lost Boys was a great movie, some 20 years ago. Why Dear GOD are they remaking it, or making the sequel. It's disturbing, the recent trend to remake movies, series and trying to wrangle people ino seeing these things, due to some sort of nostalgia. I'm over it. Please, no more Knight Rider, Terminator, Lost Boys, etc... Stop. Originality, it's a great thing. However, I will say, Corey Feldman has aged nicely. Good for him.



Ok On with the Yankees.

After dizzying few weeks in November when it looked like A-Rod was a goner, the biggest save of the year may go to Jimmy Buffet. The man that made A-Rod grow a set and hush agent Scott Boras, to rush back to the Yankes and negotiate his own deal with Hank and Hal. It seems we are pretty well set in the infield – at this point it looks like A-Rod, Jeter, Cano and a combination of Wilson Betemet, Shelley Duncan and Jason Giambi at first. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Johnny Damon and Jorge Posada get some playing time at first, as well. We know what A-Rod can do, and hopefully he can replicate his MVP performance of 2007. And even if he doesn’t, as long as he puts up his season average of, 44, 128, .306, he should make people happy. Jeter has been a solid, .300, 100 runs scored guy at the top of the order, though I cannot lie and say, I would not mind to see both him and A-Rod run a lot more. Can you believe Jeter only stole 15 bases last year, after a career high 34 in 06? And could someone please tell me how someone with his speed ranks up 21 double plays? Anyone? I know no one wants to hear this, but I think we may have seen the beginning of Jeter’s decline last year. He will be 34 in June. Hopefully with Betemit spelling him a little this year, the Captain will be able to remain fresh and not so banged up. Cano got off to an abysmal start, hitting .240 through mid-May, but wound up at .306 with 19 homers and 97 RBIs, being one of the most solid producers in the 2nd half, as well as the post-season.

Now, lets move over to the albatross that is first base. Forget about trying to figure out the situation at first, and seeing who could be useful to this team. It seems Cashmoney has as well. It appears we will have Wilson Betemet, Shelley Duncan and Jason Giambi, all sharing time at first and possibly being very unproductive. If Giambi can stay healthy, he should be a contributor in some capacity. General Joe Girardi, has said he's like Giambi to play 100 games at first. Frankly, I think that would be a miracle, but who knows. It is a contract year for Giambi after all. I mean, it'd be great to finally see him all sweaty in the dougout and finally have a reason for it. Betemit has shown, that unless he gets regular playing time, he’s just not gonna get the at bats to get himself sorted. Which is kinda sad, because I can see him being a semi-useful player with regular playing time. Duncan, well, I love the kid’s enthusiasm, but he strikes out too much and doesn’t make nearly as much contact, as you would want from someone coming off the bench. There could be some folks on the bench who can be actual threats in late innings depending on how the team shakes out during the rest of the month, though I doubt we’d see anyone else make the team except maybe the attorney general, Alberto Gonzalez as a utility guy or Morgan Ensberg, as the utility, 3b, OF, DH kind of guy. Then, there is Eric Duncan, who if he could somehow overcome his injuries and slumping prospect status, could make the roster at some point during the year, though I could see Juan Miranda getting a call first. Maybe a guy like Jason Lane sneaks onto the roster at some point during the year as well, though, I honestly can't see him being useful in any sort of way.

At catcher is Jorge Posada, who is coming off a career year, also a contract year. I think we can see him regress to his norms of .280, 18, 80 kinda year. Which would be fantastic for a 36 year old catcher. I love Benji Molina as the back up as well. He's very solid behind the plate, and can hit lefties well. So there you have it. A guy that can spell Jorge when necessary. About time we had one of those.

http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif
So there you have it. My infield preview. The rest of the team coming to a weblog near you soon.

Listening Pile:
I'm not even gonna try to explain this one. I'm so in love with Lykke Li and her wonderful music. Watch this video and I"m sure you will be too. And, yes. Those are members of the Shout Out Louds in the video. And Peter, from PB&J produced the album. Until Next Time. Cheers.

1 comment:

John_Meller said...

Hey Fred, this is John Meller from Austin. Give me a call sometime, I want to talk to you about something - 713.553.5883. Hope you're doing well.