Thursday, February 16, 2006

I'm an FBI Agent.

OK, I know, it's been a while since I've posted (two weeks!). But come on, who reads this thing besides, Mike, Dave and maybe Erika anyhow. So here goes and I promise, I'm gonna try to blogerize more often.

Seven Things I Think I Think

1. So, the Superbowl was a let down. About the only good thing that came out of it was Chuck Klosterman's blog on ESPN's Page2. I really hope he steps it up and gives us a blog for next year's Ms. America, especially after reading his face off with Bill Simmons, AKA the Sportsguy. I would die to hear his thoughts on taping your bathing suit and the giving yourself a face lift for one night. As for the ads, the Fed Ex one with the cave men, and the Ameriquest ones were great!

2. Valentines Day, came and went. And yeah, the Romance is great. Wonderful. You gotta love how simple things like, flowers, chocolate, wine and candles are impossible to find on February 14th, say, 5:30 pm. My favorite part is the candy. Which is now at discounted cost. Yeah! I love how this dude dives into where the holiday came from and what to do with all the candy, check it out. here. I especially love when he says this" Where does this holiday come from? Well, it comes from screwing, and the Catholic Church." Priceless!

3. I went to see Mission of Burma and the Battles at Bowery Ballroom last week. Both bands were great. Battles opened up and really kicked it out with their mix of mathy electronic rock action, nicely warming up the crowd for Burma. MOB really rocked hard, playing a healthy mix of songs from their Vs. album, ONOFFON and their upcoming new album, Obliterati. Though their set got a little long, evident by people gazing at the stars during new songs, I was really surprised at how many hardcore fans were still there til the end. A great show. The line of the week was heard that night, in the woman's bathroom. I mean, I didn't hear it, but my girlfriend did. "Man, you're bound to find a guy here, it's like 90:1." Girls, you heard it here first, go to math rock or post punk shows to find eligible men.

4. When I was at the Sigur Ros concert at The Theater at MSG last week. I was thinking the same thing as this guy. I just didn't say anything, or try to stare as much, since I'd get a quick elbow from the old lady. But anyhow, the set that Sigur Ros played was amazing. Nothing short of brilliant. Playing a very heavy, Takk set, they killed. The visuals were great from what I could see, we sat pretty far off on the right, up front. And I finally got the sweatshirt I'd been wanting for ages. The Vegan has nice pics up, including a pic of the Billy Joel merch booth(he played upstairs at MSG). And yes, that's how much his t-shirts cost. The lovely ladies of Amina opened up, and accompanied Sigur Ros, adding strings to their songs. Their songs are really beautiful and innovative. They use an array of instruments, both conventional and unique, such as strings, keyboards, wine glasses and more. I meant to pick up the album, but that sweatshirt set me back 45 beans.

5. I cannot wait to head over to Galapagos in Williamsburg to check this out. Point Break Live. Point Break LIVE! Yes, that Point Break. Starring Keanu and Swayze in the original, this is stage adaptation of the 1991 Keanu Reeves blockbuster. They head over to Galapagos, which has a kick-ass burlesque night, for an exclusive one-month engagement. The show, which garnered a “Seattle P-I Best of Seattle 2004” award, as well as rave reviews across the nation, tells the story of former College football star Johnny Utah—Keanu Reeves in the film—in pursuit of the bankrobbing, skydiving, bare-hand-fighting adrenaline-junkie-cum-Zenmaster Bodhi Sattva (Patrick Swayze—here played by Gearick Matthies), and features armed robbery, big-wave surfing, car chases, explosions, and no less than two extended skydiving sequences. Best of all, the starring role of Keanu will be selected at random from the audience each night, and will read their entire script off of cue-cards! Isn't that how Keanu acts? I am so there this weekend!

6. This is my favorite week of the year. Sadly, it's not because of Valentines day, nor Presidents day, though you gotta love the benefits of both days. But anyhow, Pitchers and Catchers report today! For most men, these few weeks between the Super Bowl and Reporting Day is like Thanksgiving til Christmas. I can now look forward to hearing Joe Torre talk about how he thinks that having seven starting pitchers in camp poses interesting dilemmas and who tweaked their hamstring running in the outfield. I love hearing the Mets talk with so much optimism how they finally think they are going to knock out the Braves and win the NL East. That's like trying to squeeze the fat guy out of Denny's. It's possible, but unless you got enough grease to maneuver his fat ass out the door, you're just left staring at him make a joke out of all you can eat and the South Beach diet. And this World Baseball Classic, well, it's starting to look like the Dominicans are gonna run wild on everybody, except for maybe the Cubans. Somewhere in Cuba, Fidel is lighting up another cigar for everytime some scared American backs out of the tournament, like Brittny Gastineau out of careers.

7. So, um, Dick Cheney. What more can we say about that guy. He shot his own friend. "Whoops, sorry, I didn't see you standing there. " That what he said to the guy. To top it off, the White House at first was trying to spin it onto the poor schlep who got shot, saying it was hit fault. Now, I'm not to up on my firearm knowledge, but I'm thinking it's got to be pretty hard to just accidently get shot. Guns don't kill people, Dick Cheney kills people.

Listening Pile
The Arctic Monkeys of Sheffield, England's have done what not other band before them could accomplish, the UK record for fastest-selling debut album of all time. The scanned 360,000 copies of "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not," which easily exceeded the 306,000 by Hear'Say with its 2001 debut album, "Popstars." So what's so great about the most-hyped band of early 2006 led by 19-year-old Alex Turner. What have they managed to accomplish that the likes of Oasis, Blur, Radiohead, or newcomers, Franz Ferdinand and The Libertines couldn't do before them? I have no clue. The record is catchy, at it's brightest momments, with snarly tales of small town bohemia and pretty ladies. At it's weakest moments, the album just sputters like a car out of gas. To the disenchanted youth of the UK, these are tales of their lives, their being, and their existence, to many others, the albums is just catchy songs, awkward moments, but just that, an album, not a statement of us, or our lives. To me, it just seems like one of those situations, where if enough people say its great, well, more people just start believing it. Good, not life changing.

1 comment:

------- said...

First and foremost, for Blogger word verification I just had to type in "xrboob" which is pretty awesome. Secondly, nobody really ever reads my blog either, so I'm in the same boat you are.

That's cool that you got to see Mission of Burma, I've been listening to them alot lately... didn't even know they had a new album coming.

I'm not sure if I really care for that Artic Monkey's album... Mike loves it, but it seemed pretty cliched after a couple listens. Maybe it'll grow on me... I dunno.

I can't see how they will every be as good as Fall Out Boy.