Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I'm Back...

OK, so I know it's been quite a long time since I've posted. Well, it's just way too much to go into. I've been crazy busy with work, weddings, traveling, rock shows and email disasters. I'm in the midst's of preparing for my trip to Wyoming next week. I cannot wait. Leaving the city for a week will be so nice.
Of course, while in Wyoming, we'll be visiting Yellowstone National Park and attending our friend's wedding in Cody. Should be a great time and quite the memorable trip.

Anyhows, here is a quick rundown of the shows I've been to over the last two months.
6/02 - Super Furry Animals @ Pier 12
6/06 - Tapes 'n Tapes @ Bowery Ballroom
6/09 - Cat Power @ Town Hall
6/14 - Radiohead @ Theater at MSG
6/19 - Walter Schreifels/Sorla @ Plan B
6/21 - Jennifer O' Connor @ Siñe
6/23 - Brightblack Morning Light @ Mercury Lounge
6/28 - Thom Yorke @ Bombshelter Studios - Henry Rollins Taping
6/28 - Cat Power @ John Anson Ford Amphitheater - Los Angeles
6/29 - Cat Power @ Village Studios - Los Angeles - KCRW Taping
6/29 - Radiohead @ Greek Theater Los Angeles
6/30 - Radiohead @ Greek Theater Los Angeles

7/05 - The Rakes @ Bowery Ballroom
7/06 - Fires @ Pianos
7/08 - Lifetime @ Bowery Ballroom
7/12 - North Atlantic/The King Left @ Siñe
7/19 - I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness/Asobi Seksu @ Bowery Ballroom

Listening Pile:
This new Muse album is just blowin me away. Reminiscent of the earlier records, more so than the last, Absolution, Black Holes and Revelations is way more proggy and features far down-tempo tunes and experimentation. "Starlight" has got to be this band's huge crossover hit. I swear, I think I can here this on top 40 radio. "Knights Of Cydonia" is the first single, and is epic to say the least, in all it's glory and clocking in at 6 plus minutes . "Super Massive Black Hole" is the funkiest thing on the album, sounding like Bellamy and Co. discovered a weird Thom Yorke meets Prince collaboration. "Assassin" and it's bombastic riffing, is the heaviest song on the album, yet the album does fine with just that one heay song. Really great album with interesting twists and turns, plus more than a few jabs at George Bush and Tony Blair to boot. Lastly, dunno if anyone else noticed this, but how about the similarities to the new Tom Petty album cover? Weird huh!

2 comments:

m1k3k said...

How was the FIRES show? you know i love the ET:11 sound

fan9 said...

Fires was great, I have a bunch of their mp3's they sent me.