Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Super Lame

So, it's now two days after the Super Bowl , and we've come to find out that this year's edition, was the 3rd highest rated TV program of all time with 93.2 Million Viewers. 3rd! Yeah, you read that right. Behind only the top of the list, Mash finale, and the 1996 Super Bowl. Peyton and Co. trying to erase the notion that he can't win the big game and put the exclamation point on his fantastic career and win his first Super Bowl, makes for TV. Who'd of thunk it.

So, for the first time in a long time, here are the seven things I think I think, or otherwise known as my other thoughts on the Super Bowl:

1. It was a fantastic game, with lots of great subplots. Can Manning win his first and maybe only shot at a Super Bowl. Can the Colts D shut down the potent Bears running attack and stifle Rex Grossman. How many times will we hear that it's the first time two black coaches are in the Super Bowl. Blah, blah, blah. How many times will Phil Simms say he could've made that pass. Why is Bruce Willis stalking Demi and Ashton, awkward...

2. What was up with the awful camera lenses. I mean, we weren't watching a Sunday afternoon game between the Jets and the Raiders here, we were watching the biggest game of the year! They knew it was going to rain. And no, I'm not talking about Prince. You're telling me a multi-billion dollar corporation like CBS, doesn't have a fog proof lens somewhere? Uh, HD cameras? Nothing? Horrible camera work. I was expecting one of the camera operators to start wiping down the lens only to have Jim Nantz throw in a funny little remark about how you'd think we're watching the new season of Survivor.

3. When did Rupaul hook up with Prince? OK, not really Rupaul, or maybe not even a man, but did anyone see that back-up dancer? Whoa. Long gone are the days of Vanity, Sheila E. or Sheena Easton I suppose. And now there's that whole controversy about how some see guitar as phallic imagery in Prince's Super Bowl performance. Come on, you want to talk about malfunction, does anyone remember the ass-less pants? And while we're at it, where were the hits? Maybe it's just me, but I wanted a "Little Red Corvette" or "Raspberry Beret".

4. What was up with that National Anthem? I know it's a tough song, but seriously, they couldn't get Katharine McPhee or something? Someone give the poor Piano Man a drink and let him sing!

5. What was up with all the Norbit product placements and ads. I somehow feel like I now need to see that movie and drink a Coca-Cola. "I must kill the Queen."

6. Why is it every time something happens in Miami, Gloria Estefan needs to be invited. I mean, she didn't even sing! CBS brought her out to introduce Cirque De Soleil. You'd think she was pulling a Guiliani and running for President or something.

7. Maybe it was just me, but the commercials, well, not as funny as in years past. Aside from the K-Fed commercial, which I must say was genius, and the GM Robot, the Carlos Mencia and Dalmation Budweiser spots, I can't even remember any other ad that I thought was great.

No comments: