Wednesday, March 07, 2007

beep, boop, boop, crash, beep, loop, fwount, bang, beep, boop, loop, sing, sing, beep, boop, thanks you've been a wonderful audience

Seven Things I Think I Think (Florida Edition):
1. South Beach is like Vegas. There are lots of tanned people, barely wearing any clothing, doing whatever they please. You can just as easily see some girl with her tanned boobs popping out as you would someone drinking a cocktail on the street. I was just waiting
for a hooker to get killed on Ocean drive so I could see Caruso.

2. The weather is amazing. Granted, we lucked out the first 3 days getting temps in the high 80's, but even on the last day, with temps barely getting out of the 60's it was sick. I didn't wear shoes or socks for four days. And only wore pants to dinner one night and jeans the last day. I felt like the Big Lebowski.

3. Driving down there kinda sucks. Its like LA. Out of nowhere you're sitting in a logjam of traffic like the Truman Show. Not to mention that everyone down there seems to be on their cell phone and driving a BMW, Mercedes or Lexus. It's like Brittany with a baby on her lap down there. No lie, I saw at least 6 Lamborghinis.

4. It's like an episode of CSI-Miami, I swear. Even Fort Lauderdale. Everyone sort of looks the same, tan, sunglasses, dresses the same in white or pastels. The ladies are over the top, trying to be sexy. The guys look like super-guidos. It's sorta like summer at the Jersey shore, only more white pants.

5. I guess after the crazy partying going on during Spring Break in the 80's, the city of Fort Lauderdale is really trying to clean up it's image as a party town. It's all about trying to be slick and laid back. Down to the hotels and the beaches. Big ones starting to go up, a new W, Ritz Carlton and Trump Tower on the way. Plus, not once did I see Pauly Shore, beer-funnel or a wet t-shirt contest.

6. I don't get the Dwayne Wade fascination. Homeboy is good, even great. However, I've never ever, seen one sports figure so heavily represented in one area, ever. Everywhere you went, people were sporting one jersey, and that was D-Wade's jersey. Went to the beach, dudes playing volleyball wearing #3. Go to lunch, your waiter's got on the tre. Go to a bar, at least half a dozen guys. Nightclub, at least one or two dudes, even though there's a dress code. It's like, "well, you didn't wear the appropriate outfit, but hey, you got D-Wade on, step right in." It was a little strange, think the whole time, I saw one other Heat jersey, and it was for Antoine Walker! Not even Shaq. Antoine Walker's ocho. Crazy huh.

7. So, I attended my first spring training game, albeit a game between the Baltimore Orioles and New York Mets. Fort Lauderdale stadium isn't as nice as some of the new spring training complexes, but it wasn't bad. Food wasn't that great, but that and the beer were fairly inexpensive, compared to the mortgage you have to take out at each Yankee game. Aside from being an exercise in how many fat sunburnt people you can spot wearing orange, the game was actually a pretty fun experience. We sat in the Left Field bleachers. You are so close to all the action. It's pretty cool. So when the Mets decided to have one of their pitchers start warming up, I could head over to the gate and stand literally 3 feet away from the catcher. Ambiorix Burgos was throwing some smoke. And man, is he big. like 6'4" and built like a truck. Saw Willie Randolph too. He makes it tough on a Yankee fan to hate the Mets. Orioles won and it took a long time to get out of the lots, but a good time was had.

Listening Pile:
If you've read here before, you know how much of a big fan I am of The Battles. Needless to say, I was psyched when I got my weekly email from the Warpbot, saying this, BATTLES : Atlas video + Exclusive Live Show Tickets. Yeah! New music. So I checked out the video, here. This shit is so fucked up, it's amazing! Sick distorted vocals by Tyondai and Stanier's pulsating drumming. Wow! I cannot wait to get my hands on the album.

No comments: