Friday, March 23, 2007

What Do You Want Me To Say?

It's now been over three weeks since I've posted. there are two things that attributed to this, SXSW and my intense preparation for it, plus the Austin hanta virus I came back with.

There were no highlights at SXSW. It rained on me like a MOFO on the first day. I went to some lame show at the Beauty Bar that night and then hit up a western themed gay bar, hip hop club and the Purevolume lounge. In that order. Remember, what happens in Austin, stays in Austin. Well, not really.

Wednesday had me working my ass off, including waking my ass up at 8am to get things rolling. Basically spent the day helping other people get ready for our showcase and putting up posters and handing out materials. Thursday, was pretty much the same thing. Friday, yeah, you guessed it. Saturday, I flew back to Newark and the lovely Northeast weather, with a cold. I don't remember much, as I was heavily medicated. All I do remember is my head felt like it was going to explode. Saturday night to Tuesday were a blur of sickness and sleep, mixed in with some TV watching and chicken soup.

So, now, as things have gone.
Seven things I think I think(SXSW-Austin Edition):

1. Maybe it's just me, but what the hell is up with the whole, "Keep Austin Weird" thing. That shit is gayer than Lance Bass at the Playboy Mansion. Ok, I get it. Austin is really free-spirited and democratic in a not so liberal state. Yeah, yeah, alright. But you still live in a state that elected George Bush governor and wants to build electric fences around it's borders so Paco can't enter the country. Oh, so having a couple music venues and festivals makes you guys an A-plus. Ok, my bad. "Lets Keep Austin Weird"

2. Mexican food, everywhere in Austin. It's like, "hello, welcome to Austin. would you like some BBQ or Mexican." Ate at this great authentic Mexican place on the "other side" of town called, El Azteco. For you non-Spanish speakers, that means " The Aztec". Man it was good. I was just waiting for a little homeless girl to come around and try to get me to buy flowers or chicklets. Margarita was top notch too. They didn't skip on the Tequila.

3. People down there are way friendlier than here in NYC. People's accents are great. I don't know how many times I used, "you know, I'm on the list. the band's list! they were supposed to leave a note at the door for me to get in" and actually got into a show. I mean, it worked for shit I had no clue being at. Somehow that couldn't get me into Bloc Party though. Man, I was rolling like K-Fed right before Brit dropped that ten ton hammer on his ass.

4. SXSW is like Mardi Gras. Yeah, I know I said that about South Beach too, but seeing as I've actually never been to Mardi Gras, I guess I don't really have any basis for either argument. Just based on the people vomiting, random acts of nakedness, and people consuming alcohol on the streets. And don't let me get started on Friday night. At some point, you have to start wondering, Hooker or really skanky UT student? It's no wonder things like Girls Gone Wild get made.

5. Seeing as I was at SXSW to work, I barely got to see any bands I wanted to see. I did however, get to see Snowden for a couple songs. I like their album, Anti-Anti. The songs I heard, which included my favorite from their album, "Like Bullets" sounded pretty good. I'll have to check out a full set of theirs sometime. Also, saw Youth Group play a very un-inspired set at the Fader Fort. Needless to say, it seems like they showed up for their free jeans and then were told they had to play. Some bands will do anything for those Levi's 501s. Also, got to see a bit of Pelican's set. I wasn't feeling it as much as I was hoping I would. They weren't very loud and didn't sound very good. Sorry guys. Better luck next time. Somehow I saw this band, Airbourne, from Australia. Uh...hey guys, the 80's called. They said they wanted their hair back. I thought the 80's revival died when Justin Hawkins split his pants up.

6. The traffic in Austin, well, it kinda blows. I am not sure how it takes 45 minutes to travel about 6 miles. But it does. Also, I hated how they shut off any block near the main drag, 6th Street. That meant I had to carry boxes that were way to heavy to really be carried in the first place, way further than necessary.

7. People are way proud that Whole Foods came out of Austin. I was with people that went there like eight times over 4 days. The Whole Foods headquarters in Austin, Texas, is located above its flagship store. Which, by the way, is impossible to get to unless you have a car. Cabs don't go anywhere near the place. Anyhows. It made me happy to see when I got home that the new Whole Foods at Bowery & Houston would be open on March 29th. I didn't think that thing would be open before summer. But all of a sudden, they busted a move and finished it in a hurry. I guess that's the power of Whole Foods for ya.

Listening Pile:
Not sure if this is news still, but it's an amazing story about Callum Robbins. Callum is the son of Jawbox/Burning Airlines/Channels J. Robbins and Channels' Janet Morgan. He suffers from Spinal Muscular Atrophy (Type 1), a disorder that often leads to death at a very young age, and for which there is no cure.

Just read that a bunch of bands, including Jawbreaker, Travis Morrison, Channels, David Grubbs, Engine Down, Maritime, Joe Lally, and more, have contributed tracks to the Catlick Records 2xCD compilation For Callum, available for purchase here

Tons of support has been coming from the music community, including benefit shows by Ted Leo, Radio 4 and of course, the Dismemberment Plan reunion going down at DC's Black Cat. A second show has now been added. A bunch of info on all the happenings are listed here Bummed I'm not going down to DC to see the Plan, but I'm definitely gonna pick up a copy of the Compilation for Callum. And you should too.

And while we're at it, Spoon has announced a whole mess of details, including track listing and release date July 10, for their new album, which is rumored to be called Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Not sure if that's a Pitchpork ruse or not, but either way, I'm sure a whole lot of folks will do exactly that when it's available too. Spoon fans are serious folks man. Serious.

No comments: