Sunday, October 21, 2007

fat bloody fingers are sucking your soul away...

CMJ came and went. It was a lot of fun. It started on Monday night with a party at Rebel. The venue is a lot different since the last time I was there. I didn't like the set-up. It was too small of a stage and a sweaty mess as We Are Scientists drunkenly played through their set. It was also pretty funny that they had a bunch of hardcore dudes djing, like Freddy from Madball and they were playing hip hop. Too funny. Next up on Tuesday was Little Ones at NME's club night. They were actually pretty good. Unlike Tiny Masters Of Today, which was very awkward to say the least. Followed that up with a friend's birthday party at Motor City bar. Wednesday I took it pretty easy, checking out the 1990's at a Table Tennis video game event. The one thing I'll say about that band is the drummer kinda sings like a little girl. I turned in early...well more like passed out on my sofa at about 10:30 that night.

No problem, as Thursday was the big day. I started it off with an awesome set by Biffy Clyro at the fader house thing. They killed it. They rocked so hard, that they literally made the place shake. It was awesome. They played mostly all new songs from their latest release, except 'Glitter and Trauma' from their last record. Next up was iliketrains at White Rabbit. They were great, though the sound wasn't exactly the best at that place. Next up was We Are Wolves and Born In The Flood at another club NME event. They were both pretty good. I was really surprised by Born In The Flood. Never heard of them before I saw them, but they impressed. Next up, was the one band I had to make sure I saw, UNKLE. Man, it was amazing.
I didn't really know what to expect. Best known as a dj and a collaborative project, I didn't know how James Lavelle and Co. would play the songs and sing the parts usually sung by guests like Thom Yorke, Richard Ashcroft, etc...But they totally pulled it off. Playing mostly stuff from the new album, they did kick in a few jams from the first two albums too, capped off by the encore of 'Rabbit In Your Headlights' melted into 'Eye For An Eye'. It rocked pretty hard. Lights killed and visuals were awesome too.

Friday I didn't catch all that much, aside from iliketrains again and the Macabees, who were dreadful. Saturday, I headed over to the newly re-designed, Music Hall of Williamsburg, formerly known as the Northsix. It's now a massive venue. I'm not sure if I really like it. guess I'll have to see another show, or another band. As the band playing that day was Trail Of Dead, who tend to be way too loud and sloppy anywhere they play. They were solid the other afternoon, but it was so loud you could barely here certain instruments and vocals. And that's about it. I drank a bunch of free beer, and closed out my night with dinner at Cafe El Portal and too many margaritas.



So, the Joe Torre saga has finally come to an end. He was a great manager and had 12 amazing seasons with the Yankees, highlighted by the 4 World Series, in five years. But honestly, I've felt like the team has needed a change for some time. I love Torre and all he's done for the team, but I think his ways have become a thing of the past, and I always think he's been bad at managing a pitching staff and using his bench properly. He stuck by veterans, when others would have taken them out of the line-up. He failed to motivate his players and make adjustments in the playoffs, which ultimately sealed his fate. So, now what's next for the Yankees?

My vote is for Joe Girardi to become the next manager. I think he's smart and really understands the game well. He's a former catcher and has worked with a young pitching staff, both as a player and manager in Florida last year. While Don Mattingly is my favorite player of all time and monumentally adored by fans, I just don't think he's ready to be a manager, though maybe one day he could be. To me, it seems like next year will be a rebuilding year and Girardi seems like the right guy to lead a team like that. I can easily see A-Rod playing for Anaheim of Los Angeles of Disney of Petuluma or whatever that team is called now. Clemens will not return, and it's possible Pettite, Rivera and Posada don't return either.

We'll have a very young staff with Hughes, Kennedy and Joba, not to mention Wang who is only still 27. Giambi's huge contract will not match his quickly declining health and skills. The bullpen looks like a mess, however it could be promising if one or two of the youngsters, Ohlendorf, Ramirez, Veras, Bruney, Britton, etc... can effectively throw strikes and mix up their pitches. Will Cano and Cabrera finally mature and become elite hitters. Can Damon and Jeter continue to be big-time run producers. Will Moose rebound from an awful year. Man, lots of questions. It was disappointing to see this season end the way it did, especially with the big come back from their dismal start. I really didn't think I'd find myself rooting for the Indians to be the AL champs.


Listening Pile:
I leave you with the Warlock's 'Baby Blue', the pretty and deliciously retro 7" and CD single taken from the LP arrived awash with sitars, a touch of feedback and a melody that sounded like it had blown in from the West Coast of pop. The single's extra tracks featured two songs from the album recorded on their British tour, "Hurricane Heart Attack" boasting a guest appearance from ex-Spaceman 3 front man Sonic Boom that together with "Inside Outside" successfully conveyed a sense of the band's gigantic live sound. They announced the Warlocks new album "Heavy Deavy Death Skull Love" is finished, and due out on Tee Pee Records this week.

No comments: