Sunday, October 14, 2007

Look for a full-body and amber color.


Last night on PBS, I came across Explosions In The Sky's Austin City Limits Performance.
Explosions in the Sky Song List
Recorded June 29, 2007: * Yasmin the Light / Catastrophe and the Cure / Memorial
After seeing their great performance, I'm really bummed I didn't get to see a show there when I was in Austin. Next time, I guess. The performance was pretty great and really showed off some of the band's wonderful music.

I don't think I've ever written anything about this band before, but they are indeed awesome. They formed in Austin, in 1999. Explosions has become known for its elaborately developed guitar work, and its narratively styled instrumentals, as well as their enthusiastic and emotional live shows. I'm a big fan of 2003's The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place and their most recent album, All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, released earlier this year. They also scored the soundtrack to the great Friday Night Lights movie, after being contacted by director Brian Reitzell. Despite having access to rare equipment in the studio for that project, the band kept to their songwriting style in creating original material, which is still used on the TV show as well.


I drank my very first Post Road Pumpkin Ale of the season the other night as well. The Brooklyn Brewery's Post Road Pumpkin Ale is a revival of a beer brewed by the early American colonists. Pumpkins were plentiful, flavorful and nutritious and they blended nicely with barley malt. Hundreds of pumpkins are blended into each batch of Post Road Pumpkin Ale, creating a beer with an orange amber color, warm pumpkin aroma, biscuity malt center and crisp finish. Post Road Pumpkin Ale is spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. There are a few other really great Pumpkin Ales, including, Smuttynose and
Dogfish's Punkin Ale, both of which are fantastic.

No comments: