Thursday, August 11, 2005

Damn! That boy can sing.

the listening pile

Amusement Parks on Fire - Amusement Parks on Fire – Filter/BMG (http://www.amusementparksonfire.com)
first time I heard this band, they blew me away. swirling guitars, pulsing rhythms, emotive lyrics. It made me feel young again. Plus, I hear it’s all one young kid that did it all on his own. they'll be doing some dates in the US in the fall. can't wait to see it live.

The Willowz – Talk in Circles – Sympathy for the Record Industry(thewillowz.com)
i got a 7 inch of theirs a wild back from someone I worked with and didn’t think much of it. Then someone goes and sends me their record last week and I popped it in recognizing the name. these are some young kids playing ‘60’s inspired garage rock. They’ve already gotten some attention from having some tracks on the eternal sunshine soundtrack.

Death Cab For Cutie – Soul Meets Body – Atlantic (http://www.deathcabforcutie.com)
ok, I didn’t want to like this song, but damn if I can help myself. I hated Transatlanticism since even before it came out and I was going to lean towards that way on the new album. And Ben’s Postal Service side project made me resent him even more. But damn can this guy write some catchy tunes. I do have to be honest and say that the reason I like this song so much is because he sounds like Jeremy Enigk most of the way through. I just hope the rest of the album doesn’t disappoint.

Efterklang – Tripper – Leaf Label (http://www.efterklang.net)
k, so here is another band I somehow found myself not really paying attention to despite people around me liking this band. I remember listening to the album thinking, man these are some cool indie electro pop songs from some foreign band(from copenhagen). so a few wks ago i saw their video for "swarming" and was instantly hooked. i went back listened to the album and have deemed this one of the best electro releases i've heard in some time.

No comments: