Sunday, December 18, 2005

And I'm sorry I called you hillbilly. I don't know what that means.

Oh the holidays, you gotta love them. So, I'm definitely sick of hearing Christmas music and getting glitter all over my hands every time I pick up something. I am however psyched that we finally got a Christmas tree. We're a little short on ornaments, but damn, it's a fine looking spruce. The theme, get this, is cupcakes. So we have a bunch of handmade cupcake ornaments. In a drunken moment, I almost ate one of the Styrofoam cupcakes. Just kidding!

Did you know, that Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith was the top grossing movie of 2005. You can check out the rest of the top 10 here. Most of these movies are sorta expected, big budget blockbuster. The one surprise, in my opinion was Wedding Crashers. Didn't think it grossed that much. That movie had me in stitches. I also loved how the closing credits ran with The Weakerthans, "Aside", from their fantastic 2nd album, Left And Leaving. Made me go back and listen to that album, for the first time in years. Anyhows, I think I've seen all those movies, except Harry Potter. Sorry, I just can't do it. In my opinion other top movies this year were, 40 Year Old Virgin, The Squid and the Whale, Jarhead(though I wasn't crazy about it then), Crash, Me and You and Everyone We Know, and I'm sure there are a bunch of others, I can't think of right now, or I may not yet have seen.

I think the whole Fire Matt Millen situation in Detroit is pretty damn funny. A large portion of the Detroit Lions football fans have called for the GM to be fired after the teams, 4th consecutive losing season. After firing coach Steve Mariuchi, many fans have also called for the same for GM, Millen. It's so bad, a radio station in Detroit has taken out a billboard calling for Millen's firing. Man, this is too good. I wonder if we can get a national firegeorgewbush.com campaign going. Anyhow, has anyone seen the Cininnati, Fear Da Tiger Video. The Bengals along with funk legend and Cincinnati icon Bootsy Collins have collaborated to produce "Fear Da Tiger," a Bengals theme song that made its debut on November 20, 2005 during the Bengals vs. Colts game. Ouch, none of these guys should quit their day jobs. These guys are no Ickey Woods. Who by the way, you can book for a Motivational Speaking Engagement. I kid you not.

I came across this Beatles story the other day. Apple Corps, the company representing Paul, Ringo, and the families of the late George and John, is suing EMI Records, alleging the label failed to pay more than $50 million in royalties. Yikes, that is some serious change.

So isn't it kinda funny when you get random messages or friend invitations on Myspace from crappy bands. I would say that 90% of the time, I don't even listen to the third rate band, unless I know someone in the band, or it looks like they're at least something that I might be interested in. On that note, I think one of my most pleasant discoveries from the Myspace has been Leeds, England band,Vib Gyor With melancholic dark hues, gleaming guitars, subtle keys, and achingingly beautifully vocals, they garnered much attention in their native UK. Stateside, interest has started after small write up in Entertainment Weekly and acoustic session on San Diego station 91X'’s "The Big Break"’, a slot normally reserved for US bands.

Stay tuned, sometime this week, I'll post my top 35 records of this fine year, 2005. Yeah, you heard me right, top 35!

No comments: