Saturday, December 31, 2005

Should auld acquaintance be forgot, And never brought to mind?

OK, so we've got about 10 hours left of 2005. Man, what a year it's been. The old lady(well, really young, but ball and chain didn't sound right either) and I moved in together. We worked a bunch on our apartment and it's looking pretty damn good now. Still could use some new furniture and a plasma tv, but I guess those will come in time. But, I tell you this, it feels good to be a gangsta, uh... actually, I mean, it feels good not having roommates anymore. One isn't so bad, plus she's cute and she can cook, so that makes a difference. I now own a drill and a kitchen cart. I now walk to work, every day. It's like 10 blocks and almost a mile. It helped me work off, um... that gut.

I worked my ass off in the JOB this year too. I did get to go to Philly, London and L.A. this year. Philly was brief, and the beginning of a week that saw me find a speak-easy,meet some amazing radio folks, and discover what a box of awesome is, a case of beer! Then attend an engagement party, have a birthday and see my lady finally graduate from college. It was a whirlwind of a week. London was amazing. Such a good trip. I got to see some amazing sights, great shows, and great company. I've never eaten so much fish and chips, and had such tasty lagers and ales. The whole driving on the other side of the road thing kills me too. It's a beautiful country with a rich history, and wonderful people, with great accents. I hope I get to go back soon. L.A., well it was L.A. Lots of traffic, some amazing times with the Super Furry Animals, great meals(some of the best Mexican food I've ever eaten), and great company as well, most specially, my wonderful lady. The Getty Museum was a really fantastic experience. A late night drive on Mulholland was awesome as well. And I also got to go to Disney! Saw lots of Scientology centers and Christmas trees among palm trees.

The Yankees still didn't win the Series. The team really showed their age this year. The pitching staff was held together by a rookie from Taiwan and some cast offs. Robinson Cano, made a great splash and finished the year on a tear. Jeter, A-Rod, Shef and Matsui had fantastic years. Giambi, Johnson and Mariano really came around at the end of the year. They came up short, but showed some great promise. I love the offseason moves they've made. They bolstered the bullpen, added a potent leadoff hitter in caveman, Johhny Damon, and re-signed Bernie, Matsui and didn't send off young talent for aging veterans. I think this, the third year of our season ticket plan might be the best yet. Now if we can just get A-Rod to come up big in the Postseason. I'm really looking forward to watching them come March. Yeah, I'm a baseball junkie and am counting down the days til Pitchers and Catchers report. I believe we're 40 days right now. My fantasy football teams really sucked. I mean really sucked. But the Giants seem to be doing well. They are gonna stink it up in the playoffs, but hey, if they win tonight, they might win the NFC East. And things look really good for next year.

Music was great this year. Fantastic albums from old and new bands alike. Next year, we'll have amazing new albums from Clearlake, TV On The Radio, Mogwai, Cat Power, Snow Patrol, Film School and a ton more. I think a lot of us are hoping for a new Radiohead album too. Movies are looking good for next year too, mockumentarian Christopher Guest is at it again with a spoof of an indie film crew with high hopes during the awards-show season.
Also on deck, Superman Returns and Xmen movies lined up. Tom Hanks is going to be in the Da Vinci Code. Think Tank from the Napoleon Dynamite producers, Glory Road about the first all black NCAA team in the tournament, Ice Age 2, and Miami Vice. Yup, that's right, you heard it, Miami Vice, starring Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx. Weird huh! Adam Sandler is back with Click, and he's also producing Grandma's Boy. The Wilson brothers have some movies lined up too. And of course, Vince Vaughn has the Break-Up coming. You can check out a bunch of these movies trailers, here.

So, I'm keeping this simple today and wishing everyone a Happy New Year and best wishes for 2006. It looks like we're gonna be busy.

No comments: