Sunday, December 11, 2005

Hey got a new toy to sell. It's called a Jack Brown. Me. The wind up asshole. And I'm gonna take over all the stores of America next Christmas.

I was reading the other day, that kids in South Dakota and Oregon are using Palm handhelds and have found they improved students' grades. Some schools have been giving iPods to incoming students. I've also read about some colleges giving each student a laptop. Electronic learning has become so popular that one school in Arizona went textbook-free this year, instead equipping its students with laptops. That's just nuts. It made me realize that there is a whole new generation of kids that are way more tech savvy at such a young age. I wonder if this is going to make for a weird generation of kids that all end up with carpal tunnel and odd social skills. I was reading Mike's Blog , the other day, when he talked about his Computer History. I remember getting my first Apple, back in about 1988. My dad brought home an Apple II E. I remember playing around with the Print Shop graphics program. I used to make ridiculous banners using graphics pictures and different fonts. I also remember playing Dave Winfield's Batter Up, Defender, and later on Where In The World Is Carmen San Diego. I have no idea why, but I moved over to a Compaq back in the mid 90's, which was also about the time we had an AOL account. Pentium II processor in da house. It wasn't until college that I got back into using Macs. And I didn't have a computer at home until last year. Weird huh. I can't possibly imagine myself without a computer at home now. It's so bad, we have two in the house. Both Macs. And don't let me get started on the cable modem. Without that thing, I would be a miserable, miserable man.

In the Manny being Manny sweepstakes, there's never a dull moment. So it looks like Manny Ramirez, is not on the move to Texas for Soriano and Blalock. In fact in the weirdest move of the Hot Stove winter, Soriano ended up in Washington. Oh, and poor Miguel Tejada, and his $49 million contract is unhappy in Baltimore. I guess losing does that to you. But then again, who isn't unhappy in Baltimore. So it could be a Tejada and his B-12 shots for Manny straight up kinda deal. I'm typing this as I watch what is about as un-exciting Jets/Raiders game as you can get. I swear, I think the power went out in Giant's stadium and they kept playing, and TV didn't even care. And what are the odds of the Giants totally blowing the game against the Eagles today. How many times have we seen them come off a huge win, only to stink it up the following week.

On a final sad note, Richard Pryor, the legendary and groundbreaking comedian died of a heart attack Saturday. He was 65. He had been ill for years with multiple sclerosis. Best known for his incendiary comedy routine, and the star of movies like, Harlem Nights, Brewster's Millions, The Toy, Superman III, The Wiz, Hear No Evil See No Evil. He was regarded early in his career as one of the most foul-mouthed comics in the business, but he gained a wide following for his universal and frequently personal routines. He battled drug and alcohol addictions for years, and nearly lost his life in 1980 when he caught on fire while freebasing cocaine, he incorporated the ordeal into his later routines. His style influenced generations of stand-up artists, from Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock to Robin Williams and David Letterman, among others.

1 comment:

The Humanity Critic said...

Rest in Peace Richard